DIN NO. : 02801015
Present Position : VICE – CHANCELLOR
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University Lonere, Govt. of Maharashtra
Professor of Mining Engineering (April 1997 onwards)
Dean (Students’ Affairs) (March 2004 to April 2009)
Member: Governing Body & Alternate Chairman: Peer Review Committee
National Institute of Rock Mechanics, Govt. of India
Member - Board of R&D Projects Review & Management
CSIR - Central Institute for Mining & Fuel Research, Dhanbad.
Un-Official Adviser: UPSC, Govt. of India (From 2004 onwards)
Independent Director: CMPDIL (A GOI PSU) (2006-2013)
Independent Director: KIOCL (A GOI PSU) (2009-2012)
Department of Mining Engineering
National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal (Government of India) MANGALORE – 575 025
Telephone: (0824) 2474000 (Extn.3370) 2474370 ® 9845428905 (M)
Fax : (0824) 2474061
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Ph.D (IIT-Banaras Hindu University)
- M.Tech (IIT-Banaras Hindu University)
- BE (Mining Engg.) (Osmania University)
- Ph.D Guidance : Completed: 10 , Ongoing : 03
- M.Tech: 45
- B.Tech : 12
Areas of Specialization:
- ROCK ENGINEERING
- CONTROLLED BLASTING
- ROCK DREDGING
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
Ph.D Guidance: Completed
- A Study into the Optimization of Fan Pressures for Single and Multiple Fan Networks.
Scholar: Vijaya Kumar Gogineni
- Influence of Explosive Charge on Blast Vibrations in Surface Mines.
Scholar: H.S. Venkatesh
- Studies on the Influence of Contact Roof Zone and Worked Out Lower Seam on Strata Behaviour in Longwall Panels in Godavari Valley Coalfields,India.
Scholar: M.S. Venkata Ramayya
- Investigations into Stability and Design of B
- Visakhapatnam Steel Plant, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited
- Gujarat Ambuja Cements Ltd.
- Northern Coalfields Limited
- KCP Cement, AP
- Satna Cement Works, UP
- BALCO, Amarkantak, MP
- Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Limited
- India Cements Ltd.
- Raasi Cement Works & Yerraguntla Cement Works)
- Mysore Minerals Limited, Govt. of Karnataka
- Madras Cements Limited
- The Ramco Cements Limited
- New Mangalore Port Trust, Govt. of India
- Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd., Govt. of India
- Tuticorin Port Trust, Govt. of India
- Ham Dredging & Marine Contractors, Netherlands
- GAIL India Limited (CNG Pipeline Projects)
- Kudankulam Nuclear PowerProject, Kudankulam
- L&T-Hochtief JV, Project Seabird, Karwar
- Karnataka Neeravari Nigam Ltd., Dept. of Irrigation, Govt. of Karnataka
- Punj Lloyd Limited (CNG Pipeline Project of GAIL, Govt. of India)
- HPCL (CNG Pipeline Projects)
- Karnataka Power Corporation Limited, Govt. of Karnataka
- Dredging Corporation of India Limited, Govt. of India
- Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development & Finance Corporation Ltd., Govt. of Karnataka
- SKANSKA Cementation International, Project Seabird, Karwar
- UltraTech Cements Limited
- Cochin Port Trust
- Sandur Manganese & Iron Ores Limited, Slope Stability Planning
- Jaisu Shipping Co. Pvt Limited, Mumbai Port Trust
- JK Cement Works
- Kalpataru Power Transmission Ltd.
- Parasakti Cement Industries Ltd.
- Visakhapatnam Port
- Chettinad Cement Corporation Ltd.
- My Home Industries Limited
- Priya Cements Limited
- Sagar Cements Limited
- Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Limited.
- Rock & Reef Dredging (P) Limited
- Rain Cements Limited
Books / Proceedings Edited: 10
Publications: 195 (International: 76; National: 119)
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Fellow of The Institution of Engineers (India)
- Life Member - Indian Society for Rock Mechanics & Tunneling Technology
- Life Member - Indian Society for Technical Education
- Life Member - Mining Engineers Association of India
- Member – International Society for Rock Mechanics
- Luminary in Mining Education in India Award by CSIR-CIMFR, Presented by Hon’ble Union Minister for S&T, Dr. Harshvardhan, in Vigyan Bhavan,New Delhi, on Feb. 15, 2017.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Gold Medal for best paper titled “Stress distribution on blasting gallery pillar due to goaf formation during extraction”, presented at Indian Engineering Congress held at Chennai, Dec. 21, 2017 (Co-author: Dr. Sandi Kumar Reddy).
- Best Paper Award for paper on “Signal processing computation based seismic energy estimation of blast induced ground vibration waves”, IEEE- Int. Conf.Distributed Computing, VLSI, Electrical Circuits and Robotics (DISCOVER2016), Aug. 13-14, 2016, NITK-Surathkal, India (Co-author: G. Raghu Chandra)
[Scopus Indexed] .
- Hindustan Zinc Limited Gold Medal for Best Paper Publication Award during 2008-09, Institution of Engineers (India), Award presented on Dec. 11, 2009 at 21st Indian Engineering Congress held at Mangalore, December 2009.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Gold Medal for Best Paper published, Institution of Engineers (India), 2006-07, award presented on Dec. 21, 2006 at 21st Indian Engineering Congress held at Guawhati, December 2007.
- Sponsored by the MOEF, Govt. of India, to USA and Canada as a part of World Bank Project on Environmental Management – Carrying Capacity Building Approach in 2003.
- Best Paper - " Blast design for improved productivity of machines in surface mines" presented in National Convention on Mechanization for Profit in Mining, Organized by Mining, Geological & Metallurgical Institute of India, Bangalore, Nov.25-27, 1994.
- Referred as Distinguished Personality in the News of The Indian Mining & Engg. JI., V.35, No.7, Mar.1996.
- Popularized the modern Shock Tube Initiation System in Limestone industry in southern India, by conducting studies in a large number of mines.
- Envisioned, Coordinated and Organized 10 National Seminars/ Workshops at NITK, Surathkal.
- Delivered a score of Extension Lectures.
- Professional experience extends to non-mining organizations covering various civil and allied industries like Karnataka Neeravari Nigam Limited, Dept. of Irrigation, Government of Karnataka; New Mangalore Port Trust, Mangalore; Tuticorin Port Trust, Tuticorin; Visakhapatnam Port Trust, Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Limited, Mangalore ; Bangalore-Mangalore Pipeline, HPCL, Dahej-Vijaypur CNG Pipeline, GAIL, Dredging Corporation of India Limited, Karnataka Power Corporation Limited, Rock Dredging project for Nuclear Power Corporation Ltd., Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, etc.
- Expert in Rock Dredging in the country.
First time in India, a Rock Dredging Project involving Underwater Blasting in anarea of about 1.2 Lakh sq.m was carried out in front of berth No. 8 in TuticorinPort, Tamilnadu, which totally designed by me. It was officially acknowledged and appreciated by then Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Shipping, on Jan.11, 2003, in the Valedictory Function of the National Seminar on Rock DredgingApplication of Advanced Blasting Techniques, organized by Tuticorin Port, in Tuticorin.
- Handled very prestigious consultancy project of Design and Implementation of Controlled Blasting for excavation of 5 U/G Railway Station of BMRCL, during 2011 - 2015, Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited, without causing any untoward incident in 4 years of continuous blasting.
- As Dean [Students’ Affairs], introduced new activities / programmes for the benefit of overall personality development of the students. Responsible for introducing the Girls’ Representative on Students’ Union, participation of students mandatory in any three (3) Extra & Co-Curricular activities for the award of Bachelor Degree. Inculcated new enthusiasm among students of the Institute. Initiated a number of new measures for the development of Hostels, Students’ Personality Development, Students Welfare activities like Earn While You Learn Program, Paasport-Mela in the Institute etc.
- Always maintained the balance between academics, extra & co-curricular activities, administrative responsibilities and the out-reach activities also with social commitment.
- Other Out-reach Activities
- Nominee by Min. of HRD as Member of Expert Committee on Energy Science, Sept. 21, 1998.
- SAP (Special Assistance Program) Expert Committee of UGC, to Assess performance of Dept. of Mining Engineering, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad (1999).
- Member, Scheduled of Rates Committee – 2002, Govt. of Karnataka (2002).
- Member: PG Centre Nadihalli, Sandur, Development Committee, Gulbarga University (2003).
- Member: Governing Council, Govt. of Karnataka Nominee, Golden Valley Institute of Technology, KGF (1998 – 2003).
- Visited CSIRO – Brisbane, Australia, for Research Interaction, during Nov. 24 –Dec. 10, 2008.
- Visited JKMRC, Brisbane, Australia, for Research Interaction, during March 16 –25, 2012.
Co-curricular and Extra-curricular Activities:
- Very active in organizing and participating in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Member of various academic bodies at the Institute and out side also.
- Chairman: SPICMACAY, Varanasi Chapter, 1989-91.
- Co-Chairman: IT Gymkhana,BHU, 1981-1991
- Chairman: Music Club, NITK.
- Hostel warden: BHU 1989-1991.
- Actively engaged in participating and organizing cultural programmes.
- President, Rotary Club, Surathkal (2007) & actively involved in Social Work.
- Active in Singing & Dramatics.
Experience: Professional Experience:
33 Years of Teaching, Research & Consultancy(20 Years as Professor of Mining Engineering)
- As HOD: 11 Years
- As Dean:4 ½ Years
- As Independent Director on PSUs – 6 Years
- Research & Development Projects Handled: 16 + 1 in Pipeline from Min. of Coal - GOI
(1 More Project of 2.24 Crores in pipeline with CMPDI)
Administrative Experience: Over 25 Years in different capacities
|Institution||Position||Period||Years of Experience|
|National Institute of Rock Mechanics, Bengaluru, Min. ofMines, GOI||Member,
|Feb. 2017 onwards|
|Central Mine Planning
& Design Institute Ltd.,
|Independent Director||July 2007 to Dec. 2013||6 Years|
|July 2009 to July 2012||3 Years|
|NITK – Surathkal||HOD – Mining
|Sept. 1992 – Aug. 1997
Nov. 1999 – June 2004
Sept. 2017 onwards
|NITK – Surathkal||Dean (Students’
|Mar. 2004 – Mar. 2008
Jan. 2009 - May 2009
|4 Years and
|NITK – Surathkal||HOD – Training &
|March 2008 to Feb. 2011||3 Years|
A short message from VICE – CHANCELLOR